Venice masks

Tuesday 2 March 2021

There Was a Jolly Miller - Isaac Bickerstaffe

There was a jolly miller once lived on the river Dee;
He danced and sang from morn till night, no lark so blithe as he;
And this the burden of his song forever used to be:—
“I care for nobody, no not I, if nobody cares for me.

“I live by my mill, God bless her! she’s kindred, child, and wife;
I would not change my station for any other in life;
No lawyer, surgeon, or doctor e’er had a groat from me:
I care for nobody, no not I, if nobody cares for me.”

When spring begins his merry career, oh, how his heart grows gay:
No summer’s drought alarms his fear, nor winter’s cold decay;
No foresight mars the miller’s joy, who’s wont to sing and say,
“Let others toil from year to year, I live from day to day.”

Thus, like the miller, bold and free, let us rejoice and sing:
The days of youth are made for glee, and time is on the wing;
This song shall pass from me to thee, along the jovial ring:
Let heart and voice and all agree to say, “Long live the king.”

Isaac Bickerstaffe (1733 - c. 1812) Ireland
Source: Library of World’s Best Literature, Charles Dudley Warner, Warner Library Co., 1917

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.