Venice masks

Wednesday 1 May 2024

To Amoret. The sigh - Henry Vaughan

Nimble sigh, on thy warm wings,
    Take this message and depart ;
Tell Amoret, that smiles and sings,
At what thy airy voyage brings,
    That thou cam'st lately from my heart.

Tell my lovely foe that I
Have no more such spies to send,
    But one or two that I intend,
Some few minutes ere I die,
    To her white bosom to commend.

Then whisper by that holy spring,
    Where for her sake I would have died,
Whilst those water-nymphs did bring
    Flowers to cure what she had tried ;
And of my faith and love did sing.

That if my Amoret, if she
    In after-times would have it read,
How her beauty murder'd me,
With all my heart I will agree,
    If she'll but love me, being dead.

Henry Vaughan (1621 — 1695) Wales
Source: Luminarium

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.