Venice masks

Monday 20 May 2024

Love does not deceive me - José Afonso

Love does not deceive me
With his slightness
If of an old flame
badly lives, bitterness

From one black spot
From a cold rock
Which love not delivers
In the empty night?

And the voices embark
In an afflicted silence
The more they separate
More listened is the shout

To the waters' surface
Sailor night
comes slowly
For my side

In new fields
Near of a wall tree
born red flowers
For the Spring

Thus you know
Sister lark
Say me if you wait
For the rising day

José Afonso [José Manuel Cerqueira Afonso dos Santos, aka Zeca Afonso] (1929 - 1987) Portugal
Translated by Isaac Pereira

1 comment:

  1. I really like the visuals José put in there! I like this poem as well, it's one of my favorites

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.