Venice masks

Wednesday 29 May 2024

The difference between you and myself - Nicolas de Chamfort

“The difference between you and myself,” said a friend to me, 
“is that you have said to all the masqueraders: ‘I know you,’ 
whilst I have left them the hope that they are deceiving me. 
That is why the world favours me more than you. 
It is a masked ball, the interest of which you have spoiled for others 
and the amusement for yourself.”

Nicolas de Chamfort (1741–1794) France
Translated by William G. Hutchison
Source: The Cynic’s Breviary: The Maxims and Anecdotes from Nicolas de Chamfort. Translated by William G. Hutchison, Elkin Mathews, 1902

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.