Venice masks

Saturday 25 May 2024

It’s Not Love… - J-Rae Tedtaotao

When I was 13 I experienced loss before love
and for that I never stepped up to love’s challenge
since then I have been running from it,
and now I can feel it catching up and
its breath on my neck
but I am too scared to turn around.

Though my back is towards love
my face is facing you and
all I can see are stars around my head
like I have fallen.

All I can feel are butterflies in my tummy,
not like the first day of kinder, but the day before that.
I look at you and I see laughter in my day
even though I'm being robbed of my roots
by this new way of living.

I cannot breathe when I am with you
I cannot breathe when I'm without you
it feels as if I have died and gone to heaven
and all the angels want to take my hand
but the only one I want to hold hands with is you
when I am with you, my world stops and turns the
other way making more sense and being senseless
at the same time, if that made any sense at all…

When I talk to you my words are all jumbled inside
me and it is just amazing how you hear it so clearly
when it comes out.

Some would say I am too young to fall in love
but time is running out and the more
I live the shorter life gets and plus,
it does not take a rocket scientist to know you
love someone.

I think its very strange how people ask,
‘How do you know when you’re in love?’
Hello? It’s the same way you know when you need the bathroom
you feel it...

You can say all you want that I don’t
know what I am talking about but remember
not every scientist knows why H2O is water
not every mathmetician knows why pi is 3.14
not every english teacher know why i comes before e
except after c it’s like
what the heck makes all the other letters so special
that c has to be excluded.

Where I am going here is that
not all of us always know what we
are talking about, but that is no reason
to not speak at all.

Maybe I do not understand love but hey
I don’t understand 99 percent of the things
our leaders are doing to us so
what the heck makes love any harder to have in life
but just to shut people up
and get them off my back.

I will not call this love, no...
this is you and I, or me and you
however the heck they fit to see it
all they need to know is that
it is us against them
because I have your back
and you have mine
and even though I have never stepped
up to the challenges of love
all that time I have been running I have seen other relationships
fall and I have learned what not to do to you.

And now it is catching up and
I can feel its breath on my neck
but since I am standing
face to face with you
I don’t have to worry about
turning around…

J-Rae Tedtaotao (21st century) Guam
Source: Guampedia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.