Venice masks

Tuesday 13 August 2024

The choice of friends - Saadi Shirazi

One balmy day in gentle June,
While sporting in my bath so free, 
In came a friend with perfumed clay,
And gave the fragrant mass to me.
Art thou of musk or ambergris?
Thou art like both: I cannot tell 
Whence comes the charm, but this I know,
I am delighted with thy smell.

"I was a piece of worthless clay
Until the blooming rose I knew; 
For by its side I drank delight,
And drank its heavenly fragrance too.
But for that rose I should be still
Mere worthless clay for idle ends; 
Learn well the lesson I impart —
Be careful in your choice of friends."

Saadi Shirazi [Abū-Muhammad Muslih al-Dīn bin Abdallāh Shīrāz] (1210 - 1292) Iran 
Translator not stated
Source: Flowers of song from many lands; being short poems and detached verses gathered from various languages and rendered into English, by Frederic Rowland Marvin, Pafraets Book Company, 1902

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.