Venice masks

Saturday 10 August 2024

The Amores: Elegy IX - Ovid

Nape, skilled at binding the straggling locks and arranging them in order, 
and not deserving to be reckoned among the female slaves; 
known, too, by experience to be successful in the contrivances of the stealthy night, 
and clever in giving the signals; 
you who have so oft entreated Corinna, when hesitating, to come to me; 
who have been found so often faithful by me in my difficulties; 
take and carry these tablets, so well-filled, this morning to your mistress; 
and by your diligence dispel all impeding delay. 
Neither veins of flint, nor hard iron is in your breast, 
nor have you a simplicity greater than that of your clever class. 
There is no doubt that you, too, have experienced the bow of Cupid; 
in my behalf defend the banner of your service. 
If Corinna asks what I am doing, 
you will say that I am living in expectation of the night. 
The wax inscribed with my persuasive hand is carrying the rest.

While I am speaking, time is flying; 
opportunely give her my tablets, when she is at leisure; 
but still, make her read them at once. 
I bid you watch her eyes and her forehead as she reads; 
from the silent features we may know the future. 
And be there no delay; 
when she has read them through, request her to write a long answer; 
I hate it, when the bleached wax is empty, with a margin on every side. 
Let her write the lines close as they run, 
and let the letters traced in the extreme margin long detain my eyes.

But what need is there for wearying her fingers with holding the pen? 
Let the whole of her letter contain this one word, "Come." 
Then, I should not delay to crown my victorious tablets with laurel, 
nor to place them in the midst of the temple of Venus. 
Beneath them I would inscribe 
"Naso consecrates these faithful servants of his to Venus; 
but lately, you were pieces of worthless maple."

Ovid (43 BC – c.17/18 AD) Italy (died in Romania)
Translated by Henry T. Riley
Source: The Amores; or, Amours By Ovid, Literally Translated into English Prose, with Copious Notes,
by Henry T. Riley, 1885 [Project Gutenberg]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.