Venice masks

Friday 9 August 2024

An Egg and a River - Marial Awendit

Am I the best candidate to throw

A boiled egg into the Nile?
I remember breaking
A gourd full of water,

In the face of thirst, in 1999.
I did not intend that, yet
I flinched from serrated leaves

Flying around my assembly.
The council commissioned
To hurricane away my joy
Built fortresses around me.
The times have not changed,
But my wings did.

Still, am I the best candidate

To oppress the edges of the belch

Of thunder?

Marial Awendit (21st century) South Sudan

1 comment:

  1. This is good work for the promotion of global poetry. You should go ahead to solidify your idea more by publishing an anthology of your these poems.

    ReplyDelete

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.