Venice masks

Saturday 13 July 2024

I was born in a time of peace - Cai Yan

I was born in a time of peace,
But later the mandate of Heaven
Was withdrawn from Han Dynasty.

Heaven was pitiless.
It sent down confusion and separation.
Earth was pitiless.
It brought me to birth in such a time.
War was everywhere. Every road was dangerous.
Soldiers and civilians everywhere
Fleeing death and suffering.
Smoke and dust obscured the land
Overrun by the ruthless Tartar bands.
Our people lost their will-power and integrity.
I can never learn the ways of the barbarians.
I am daily subject to violence and insult.
I sing one stanza to my lute and a Tartar horn.
But no one knows my agony and grief.

Cai Yan [Cai Wenji, or Ts’ai Yen] (c. 178 – c. 249) China
Translated by Kenneth Rexroth and Ling Chung
Source: Poetry Lover


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.