Venice masks

Thursday 18 August 2022

Sandpaper - Clara Burghelea

​I don’t want to give up longing,
these tines of invisible fork
that puncture the lungs.
Smells like linden trees in bloom,
and soap bars in between starched sheets.
Tastes like uneasiness, the way
the stomach churns and pounds
like a trapped animal.
Longing is a rusty old grater
that granulates pain.
It hollows me like a husk,
metal teeth biting at the flesh.
I never bleed though.
I write in ink bursts,
then run fallow for a while.
Small poems jammed together,
bitter-pitted and muffled,
sitting on my chest,
trying to press past lungs and blades.
Then barren days of white paper,
where longing and I cuddle like lovers,
wishing to go pristine again,
when love was not abrasive, and sober.

Clara Burghelea (21st century) Romania, lives in USA
Source: Harana Poetry Issue 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.