Venice masks

Friday 26 August 2022

From Russia to Lithuania, a Strawberry - Laura Cesarco Eglin

The only Russia I know
is in klubnika – a strawberry
is not the same when I tear
the first layer of red skin
knowing that Russia vanished with
the little seeds the tongue sometimes
touches, certain
words, but in others you don’t have
Russia, although there’s something in the way
my grandfather holds a strawberry
to give me, closing his eyes, both of us
but I know that all the time he is
thinking of me who have never been
to Russia, or to Lithuania, and eat
strawberries as if I were still there

Laura Cesarco Eglin (born 1976) Uruguay
Translated by Laura Chalar
Source: Modren Poetry in TranslationThe Tangled Route, 2015 Number 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.