Venice masks

Sunday 28 August 2022

Lamentations - Sunthorn Phu

Oh, how everything was against me then
Even white ants made their way to my bedroom.
They ate the mat and destroyed all my books.
It was distressing to think of those books
And the yellow robes I used to wear
Had holes in them like my weeping eyes.

I salute the Pagoda of the Holy Relics
May the true religion live forever.
I make merit, so the Buddha helps me
Increase my power to attain enlightenment.
And I’d like my words, my book,
To preserve, till the end of time and heavens,
Sunthorn the scribe who belongs
To the King of the White Elephant.

Sunthorn Phu [Phra Sunthorn Vohara] (1786 - 1855) Thailand
Translated by Ivasabutr Sawanee
Source: Lezenswaard

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.