Venice masks

Thursday 25 August 2022

Claws - Rasha Omran

If I were a cat
I would wash my skin with my tongue
like this
your scent passing from my skin to my mouth, so I’d think I’d devoured you
nothing remaining of you for anyone else to see
until I was satisfied, and I’d stretch out on the ground, content
that no one else but me would see you
and no one else but me would smell your scent
and no one else would hear your delicate bones cracking … but me
who said love is always docile 
and that it must never be a beast 
a beast with its senses sharpened
like the claws of an angry cat

Rasha Omran (born 1964) Syria
Translated by Phoebe Bay Carter
Source: ArabLit Quarterly CATS issue Fall 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.