Venice masks

Friday 12 August 2022

An Address - Gopal Prasad Rimal

O lass, o damozel,
we have met as the sun meets the rain,
perhaps you remember –
we have cuddled like a cloud.
A rainbow falls upon the cloud
and downpour drenches, and the wind howls.
And its aftermath, we have become as clear as the sky.
In your depth, in that seriousness, O beauty,
my youthful exhuberence has been lost;
we have wept, and have laughed,
but the care today has rendered,
all of those things dull.
This care should have marked that excitement
instead of a mere “I love you,”
I could have dared to say, “I am impregnating you.”

[1]
O lass, o damozel,
love thrives even in woods.
In countryside; in the town,
that love alone does not suffice;
here should come impregnation – pious and responsible
Buddha should be begotten here, and Lenin.
Other than children, is there a clearer mirror
whereon our image is reflected the best?
A self-reflection should evolve here.

[2]
O lass, o damozel,
when I meet you next,
I shall tell you straight,
“I will impregnate you.”
And if I do not meet you,
I shall find someone
as enticing as you are
and equally numbed,
drawing my heart closer as you do.
To that lass, to that damozel,
I am in full care; I will be strong enough to say,
“I will impregnate you.”

Gopal Prasad Rimal (1918 - 1973) Nepal
Translated by Mahesh Paudyal
Source: Dancing Soul of Mount EverestEditor Momila, Nepali Kalasahitya Dot Com Pratishthan [Nepali Art & Literature Dot Com Foundation], 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.