Venice masks

Friday 29 July 2022

Pilgrim Of Amity - Bam Livinus Tal

We've come a long way
From town to town, we hoop for jobs
Tough times came, we managed and stayed
When the storm was still, we met at a joint
Like in a jungle, we shared, rejoiced and cracked jokes

Now the fruits of long friendship are all visible
And the entire world is harvesting from their tree
Because we stood firm and denied feebleness
The pilgrimage of amity now habours thousand and three
Like an army of soldiers that match and sing.

Your friends are now my friends
And my friends, your friends
Your children are now my children
And my children, your children
It is indeed a milestone covered with resounding success.

Let me not alone anymore, brother
For the horizon is still further
Even in my frailty hold me still, let’s move along
I hope to catch up very soon
You are indeed a dear brother.

Bam Livinus Tal (20th century) Cameroon
Source: Poetic Africa Issue 3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.