Venice masks

Wednesday 6 July 2022

Coordinating System - Daniela Andonovska-Trajkovska

all people know what the coordinates that I live in are
and what full stops my initials are leaning on

I write my Identification Number on
a payment slip
when I return what was taken from me
And in my health care card I reveal it
when with my consent they extract blood from my words
so they could see whether my leukocytes are all there
I keep it in the bank as well
in front of the eyes of the usurers
so they could see that I have nothing but that number

The postman stops at number 47
and returns the stray words
in the mail box of forgetting.
My friend visits me once a month
to read how many light bulbs
were on in vain last night

My telephone number is made public
on the web page that gives my salary.
My date of birth is impressed on my fingers
and inputs itself
in the empty slots
of electronic bureaucracy

The traffic officer knows exactly
when I am about to go through the city centre
when I am commuting to work
and he always pulls me over
to reprimand me
for entering curves speedily and recklessly
to commend me for following coordinates astutely
but for which – I wouldn’t survive

and then I recall that my hand
had drawn all the lines of the pedestrian crossings
all of the triangles with exclamation marks
and all of the Stop signs at the entrance of main streets

and I go on… moving along on the same coordinates
in foreign systems, with my rules, but I survive
because my life lives in a dream without coordinates
in which I am being born over and over again

Daniela Andonovska-Trajkovska (born 1979) Macedonia
Translated by the author

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.