Venice masks

Friday 1 July 2022

Learner - Mahadai Das

I am the great learner.
I devour the apple but before that,
I halve, then quarter
and eighth it.
 
I am a baby feeding on mashed yams.
I discover red apples and green ones,
Small apples, large ones. Romanos,
Granny Smiths.

I have eaten them.
Flame in the gut. Like a Chinese dragon,
I hold horses, I drive and I breathe fire.
Adam and Eve in one, I am in a garden,
eating. Breathing.
There are raspberries too, and bananas,
The banana-man sells me some.

I, oriental fire-dragon, mother Kali
in China, wrap snakes around my neck and
eat the fruits, belching out ribbons of fire
into the snow-white prison to which I am 
relegated.
Bars are white hot iron.
Books encased in cartons stand low
against the bars.

Mahadai Das (1954 - 2003) Guyana

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.