Venice masks

Sunday 19 June 2022

Speaking of Gabriel - Rosario Castellanos

Like all visitors my son disturbed me,
taking a place that was my place,
existing unpropitiously,
making me divide every mouthful in two.

Ugly, sick, bored,
I felt him grow at my expense,
steal his color from my blood, add
a weight and a secret breadth
to my own way of being on the earth.

His body begged me to be born, to cede him the way,
to give him a place in the world,
the quota of time essential for his history.

I consented. And when he came through that wound, through that
hemorrhage of dislodgment,
there departed as well the last I had
of solitude, of gazing out from behind a window.

I was left open, receptive
to visitations, to the wind, to presence.

Rosario Castellanos (1925 - 1974) Mexico
Translated by Kate Flores
[See also: Hispanic feminist poems from the Middle Ages to the present: a bilingual anthology, by Kate Flores, Feminist Press at the City University of New York, 1986]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.