Venice masks

Saturday 18 June 2022

Sin - Carlos Bahr

I know not
whether this is forbidden;
if there’ll be forgiveness;
or if I’ll be carried to the brink of the abyss.
All that I know:
This is Love.

I know not
whether this Love is a sin;
if punishment awaits;
or if it disrespects all the decent laws
of humankind and of God.

All that I know:  it’s a Love which stuns my Life
like a whirlwind;   and
that I crawl, yes crawl, straight to your arms
in a blind passion.

And This is stronger than I am, than my Life,
my beliefs, my sense of duty.
It’s even stronger within me than
the fear of God.

Though it may be sin – how I want you,
yes, I want you all the same.
And even if everyone denies me that right,
I will seize hold of this Love.

Carlos Bahr (1902 - 1984) Argentina
Translated by Alexander Best
Source: Zocalo Poets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.