Venice masks

Tuesday 7 June 2022

I won’t bow my head for anyone - Stephen Ciec Lam

My brown ox has grown old like Wunbiel’s ox.
This dark ox has grown old like Wunbiel’s ox,
like the brown ox of my grandfather,
like Luanglei’s ox.
The brown ox has grown old indeed.
Cuol Deang and Cuol Lul, the land went bad
because there were no brave men.
The ox cries through the moonless night,
the black ox, who bawls every day
when some are taken, crying out
because so many are taken.
Before the foreigners came,
my family was never herded into a barn,
The Lou were never herded into a barn.
Nyadak Yak’s family and her brother Cotjiok,
Nyadak and her brother Diu Yak—
no man ever stood up to them.
But now their talk is of sick cows
and the government.
I speak for the Nuer who keep their heads up.
I speak for the Lou who keep their heads up.
lt’s the truth, by Jak, my sister’s big ox
whose glossy hide shines against the compound,
Nyaluak Thiyang.
I won’t bow my head for anyone.
Oh, bull spotted black, oh, spotted bull.
Let me speak for the Nuer.
Let me speak for the Nuer who decide.

Stephen Ciec Lam (20th century) Sudan
Translated by Terese Svoboda
Source: Sudan Open ArchiveCleaned the Crocodile's Teeth, Translated by Terese Svoboda, Greenfield Review Press, 1985

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.