Venice masks

Monday 9 May 2022

Warriors of the radiant sun - Étienne Goyémidé

My hair has turned white in the shadow of the shields.
My eyes took on the colour of fair combat.
My hands were forged through contact with weapons.
My voice is that of the chief who invites his subjects to defend a just cause.
My ears hear the voice of wisdom and bravery.
My feet have crossed a thousand forests, a thousand rivers, a thousand mountains.
My feet have led me with honour and honesty.
Now here I am at the edge of the grave, ready to join my parents, my friends 
and also my enemies whom I have slain in fair combat.
Now that I have to leave, my children, listen to the last truth:
Keep your hands clean.
Beware of shedding tears on them and the blood of innocence.
The tears and blood of innocence engender and nourish just and inevitable revenge.
Beware, my dear children, of being the warriors of darkness.
Be, like your ancestors, the warriors of the radiant sun.

Étienne Goyémidé (1942 – 1997) Central African Republic
Translated by Bruce Levitan [using Google translate]
Source: Le dernier survivant de la caravane, Étienne Goyémidé, Le Serpent à Plumes, 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.