Venice masks

Sunday 1 May 2022

Utendi (The Book of Mwana Kupona) stanzas 1-11 - Mwana Kupona

1.
Attend to me my daughter
unworthy as I am of God’s award
Heed my last instructions
for it may be that you will apply yourself to them.

2.
Sickness has seized upon me
and has now lasted a whole year
I have not had a chance to utter
a word of good advice to you.

3.
Come forward and set yourself 
with ink and paper
I have matters at heart
that I have longed to tell you.

4.
Now that you are near
Write, In the Name of God
name of Him and the Beloved
together with his Companions.

5.
When you have thus acknowledged
the Name of God the Mighty
then let us pray for His bounty
as God shall deem fit for us.

6.
A son of Adam is nought
and the world is not ours
nor is there any man
who shall endure for ever.

7.
My child, accept my advice
together with my blessing
God will protect you
that He may avert you from evil.

8.
Take this amulet that I give you
fasten it carefully upon a cord
regard it as a precious thing
that you may cherish it with care.

9.
Let me string for you a necklace
of pearls and red coral
let me adorn you as a beautiful woman
when it shines upon your neck.

10.
For love let me give you a clasp
a beautiful one without flaw
wear it upon your neck
and you shall perceive benefits.

11.
While you shall hold to my counsel 
my child, you shall escape trouble
you shall pass through this world
and cross over to the next.


Mwana Kupona [Mwana Kupona binti Msham] (died c. 1865) Kenya
Translated by Lyndon Harries
Source: Oral Literature in Africa, Ruth Finnegan, World Oral Literature Series 1, Open Book Publishers, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.