Venice masks

Tuesday 3 May 2022

My father - Madeleine de Lallé

My father spoke little.
But on these evenings of sublime beauty
When he wanted to say something,
I remember how I stayed
To meditate on the words and the silences
That animated his face.
I was far from understanding
That thus he trained my little steps
Along life's path.
I relive the gentle and graceful gestures
that accompanied his words
With slow deliberation.

Madeleine de Lallé [Madeleine Ki Kabore] (20th century) Burkina Faso
Translated by Bruce Levitan (partially using Google Translate)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.