Venice masks

Monday 6 December 2021

patronus - Anita Pajević

there, on the ground floor of our sitting room
in a pot squats a tree
made of life
mum hasn’t changed its soil
in 17 years
since dad gave it to her
and it’s never tipped over
from its own weight
not when we talked loudly, not when we bothered it, played ball toss, touched it with our feet,
not when it squeaked round the room in december swapping north for south
even then we didn’t give it minerals
from time to time we fed it water
mum (between us) believes
that dad lives in the tree
this upsets me
because in its pot I want to bury each
moth which shakes off its tiny life into our sink

moths die in drains
and I hear their deaths in
light bulbs and empty walls
it’s loud if you don’t talk to them
when you take them out on a chopping board to fly off into the wind

the tree of life brought me to
mum and dad
in the pot
beneath the soil they
pondered me
my tree now breathes through a straw topped with
a plastic flower
and there’s a bump on its neck

in each pot lives an
injured seal

if I summon patronus
won’t I unearth
the mother of all butterflies
the butterfly colossus
with a flap of his heavy wings he will spray the soil
all over the curtains
take a sip of the morning coffee
like he used to do with mum
and crumble with fear for having seen us all
and ask me about my funny e-mail address
and tell us he likes
the place he came from but still
we should pack up plenty of pebbles and shells because they’re running out up there
they have an excess of plants
the plants are mages and merlins over there
while pot and potash are the same linguistic gender
they all graze on marjoram
cloves walk the earth
they make the grand canyon out of warm plasticine

he left turned on felt-tips all over the room
till I blinked
supressed it all
into coincidence

Anita Pajević (born 1989) Bosnia-Herzegovina
Translated by Mirza Purić
Source: EuropeNow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.