Venice masks

Thursday 9 December 2021

Little Bird - Katama Wui

One morning I got up
to pick oranges in the garden.
And I saw this.
I saw the rising sun
and the little bird
singing his morning song.
And I heard this.
The little bird chirped: “Cui, cui, cui!”
And begged:
“Please, leave my little ones in their nest.”
And I said this:
First I chirped: “Cui, cui, cui!”
And then I said:
“Don’t be afraid, I am your friend.”
And what was asked I did.
Since that day the little bird loves me
and his sweet song gives me great pleasure.
And this is what happened.

Katama Wui (20th century) Gabon
Source: Hope College Anchor magazine LXXIII-15, 1961

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.