Venice masks

Saturday 18 December 2021

Excuse me, I think I am dying - Lena Ruth Stefanović

Two years ago I passed away
No, really
I haven’t written about it
Which is unusual
Given that I write about almost everything
First you don't understand
Then you get it, you are looking into Death’s eyes
None of you is blinking
Death had found me at a birthday party
I was wearing a lace dress
And I laughed a lot
At the ER there was a queue
I approached the room for exams and said:
"Excuse me, I think I am dying...”
In a wheel chair
They transported me to the emergency vehicle
Blue lights flashing on the top of it
And we took off towards the Urgent Care Center
Some other doctors examined me there

Then I fainted
Next thing I remember
Is watching from somewhere above
With birds’ eye view
I see myself on the narrow hospital bed
And I think to myself
‘Kay, that’s over too
I'm sad I hadn't published my novel 
Then plenty of medical personnel came in
They ran while pushing the bed with me on it
down a long corridor to some unknown destination
later on it would turn out
that it was then my heart had stopped

as soon as I was released from intensive care
like everyone else,
the first thing I did
was
to
post a hospital selfie on facebook.

Lena Ruth Stefanović (born 1970) Montenegro
Translated by the author
Source: Trafika Europe 17 – Mysterious Montenegro, Penn State University Libraries

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.