Venice masks

Sunday 26 December 2021

In Damen - Frank Báez

In Damen there’s a bar
where the employees loosen their ties
and drink beer with girls who steal
poetry from the bookstore on the corner.

Sitting there, I wrote a poem
I like a lot.

A week later I went back and tried
to write another poem
that didn’t work at all.

And it’s about how several days ago
I saw a sunset over the city
and said to myself I’ve got to write a poem.

Or there was the Monday I saw a bird
hit the office window again and again
and promised to dedicate a poem to him.

Or the time I was following the girl
who paints her body orange
on Michigan Avenue
and she got wise to me and running after her
I shouted I’ve got to write a poem.

And now I’m writing while the bartender is laughing and smoking
among the employees and the girls who’re laughing and smoking
with stolen books in their handbags.

And as I write this poem keeps getting fuller and fuller of people I don’t know, of readers I’ve never seen, of my European readers, my Chinese and Arab readers, my readers in Argentina… and suddenly the poem is like a bar where people are smoking and shouting and the only person who doesn’t belong here is me.

John Keats wrote that there’s nothing less poetic than a poet.
The poet is to poetry what pipes are to water.
By that I mean the poet just writes,
uses words, sets them up here,
takes them down there, strokes them
the way a mason lays brick and spreads the stucco on,
since a poet builds houses out of words
for readers, the ones who’re hypocrites and leave without paying
and sometimes stick a shotgun in their mouths only because they need
what’s inside a poem;
to those who’re searching, who’re suffering, to the evicted,
the poet gives shelter in his poems —
to sadsacks, to lovers, to whores, to crazies,
to retired policemen…
and as soon as the poet finishes his house
it no longer belongs to him
and he goes off to build more houses somewhere else.

Night is falling now in Damen.
The wind plays outside,
pushing the park-swings.
Lights come on behind the windows.

Frank Báez (born 1978) Dominican Republic
Translated by Hoyt Rogers
Source: The Fortnightly Review, May 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.