Venice masks

Sunday 21 April 2024

Brothers, my peace is in my aloneness - Rabi’a of Basri

Brothers, my peace is in my aloneness.
My Beloved is alone with me there, always.
I have found nothing in all the worlds
That could match His love,
This love that harrows the sands of my desert.
If I come to die of desire
And my Beloved is still not satisfied, 
I would live in eternal despair.

To abandon all that He has fashioned
And hold in the palm of my hand
Certain proof that He loves me—
That is the name and the goal of my search.

Rabi’a of Basri (Rabi’ah al-’Adawiyyah al-Qaysiyya, also known as Rabi’a Adawiya) (717 – 801) Iraq
Translated by Andrew Harvey and Eryk Hanut  from their book Perfume of the Desert 
Rabi’a was the 4th child hence her name which means literally that, and Basri refers to her place of birth (Basra). She is revered as a Muslim saint and Sufi mystic. Her many poems were not written so have been passed on as oral tradition until they were recorded in writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.