Venice masks

Friday 5 April 2024

After I Ate An English Thesaurus - Khayelihle Bongiswa Gamedze

I accidentally ate, consumed, chew in,
A thesaurus, a synonymopedia.
And ever since then, at that moment, by that time,
My words, vocabulary, sayings just sublime.

So when I talk, speak, utter a voice to someone,
I use informed, spiced, educated English.
I use big, humongous, enormous words
And synonyms like 'food carrier' instead of dish.

And instead of idiot, fool, stupid person,
I found better words like Vladimir Putin, Donald Trump...
And I now use words like geographic waste disposal centre
Instead of cheap words like rubbish dump.

It's awesome, fantastic, awe-inspiring,
How my language, grammar, vocabulary has developed.
It really is supercalifragilisticexpialidocious,
How my wisdom, philosophical understanding has emerged!

Khayelihle Bongiswa Gamedze (born 2001) Eswatini
Source: Poetry Soup
  • synonymopedia - this word was invented by Brian Bilston for his poem Roger's Thesuarus
  • supercalifragilisticexpialidocious - this word was famously used for the song of the same name in the Disney movie Mary Poppins written by the Sherman Brothers, but its origin dates back to an article by Helen Herman in the Syracuse University Daily Orange, dated March 10, 1931

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.