Venice masks

Tuesday 2 January 2024

When I want a shapeful dream - Balkrishna Sama

When I want a shapeful dream I write poetry,
And when I want a dreamlike shape I paint;
When I want you to speak to me I write poetry,
And when I want you to smile with me I paint;
When I want to cry for you I write poetry,
And when I want you to weep for me I paint
When I want to touch your heart I write poetry
And when I want to catch your sight I paint;
When I want to die for the living I write poetry,
And when I want a life for the dead I paint;
So poetry and painting go side by side
As the very moon and her moonbeam;-
In poetry soul is the painting,
And in the painting soul is the poem,
And so, my love, my eye is your painting,
And my heart your poem.

Balkrishna Sama (1903-1981) Nepal
Translated by the author
Source: All Poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.