Venice masks

Friday 26 January 2024

Dilemma - Emmanuel Monychol

Walking by the riverside, 
Imagining dark eyes, 
Tiny fish in Blue Ocean, 
Crocodiles struggling to feed, 
Hippos in the deep, 

Waiting for the night to come. 
Young Calypso suddenly appeared 
In her flying dress, 
Balancing a water jar – and singing. 

I tried to stop her just to say, “Hello.” 
The water jar dropped, water flooded the green grass 
Forcefully uprooting and clearing weeds back to river. 

Calypso’s voice rang: “Daddy! Daddy!
He has raped me.” 

I saw gigantic hands 
Hold me by the throat. 
A man in uniform 
Manacled my hands. 

Three years later 
The man with gigantic hands died; he left a letter, 
Urging me to promise him 
A grandchild.

Emmanuel Monychol (20th century) South Sudan
Source: Suubi, African Writers Trust and British Council, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.