Venice masks

Saturday 26 March 2022

Upon Naked Skin - Arabella Salaverry

Upon naked skin I write.
Upon the ardent expanse
which covers me
and accompanies me
throughout life’s journeys.
Upon my pores
a pleat
a portrait of abrasions.
Upon the gashes
outlines of
a filigree of scars.
Upon this silent collapse
which sometimes reacts to
caresses.
Oh, the wail!
which in other women invokes
absence.
Upon this skin
which at times holds me back
but also becomes unsuitable.
Upon this skin which might as well be a shroud.
Upon this skin of fire and frost.
Upon this skin
my skin
I write.

Arabella Salaverry (born 1946) Costa Rica
Translated by Andrés Alfaro

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.