Venice masks

Wednesday 23 March 2022

At Palau Pacific Resort - Emelihter Kihleng

I wish I was staying here
eating the special fish of the month
drinking coffee
drinking coffee
s
l
o
w
l
y
Ahhhhh………………nice
this is the life
“like no other island dream”*

wanting to prolong my visit
I go to the bar
hesitate when I see
they are there
it’s always the same
they are so comfortable
so at ease
smelling of sunscreen and Corona
sipping cocktails
talking amongst each other
about diving
big groupers and reef sharks
diving in other exotic places
perhaps I ought to take lessons?

the thought of relying on a tank for oxygen
being down where we humans don’t belong
has always scared me
I mean
what if I ran out of oxygen
and ended up like them?
completely oblivious
to the fact that
they are far from home

New Year’s Day 2010

Emelihter Kihleng (21st century) Federated States of Micronesia [born on Guam]
Poet’s note: “like no other island dream” is the Palau Pacific Resort motto.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.