Venice masks

Friday 11 March 2022

Once More I Will Greet the Sun - Forugh Farrokhzad

Once more I will greet the sun,
the stream that flowed in me,
the clouds which were my long thoughts,
the painful growth of poplars in the garden
which pass through the dry seasons with me,
the flocks of crows
which brought me the smell of the night farms
as presents,
my mother who lived in the mirror
and was the image of my old age.

Once more I will greet the earth whose burning soul
is filled with the green seeds of my incessant passion.

I will come, I will come, I will come,
with my hair, the continuation of the smells of the undersoil,
with my eyes, as the dense experiences of darkness,
with the bushes I have picked in the wilderness beyond the wall
I will come, I will come, I will come
and the entrance will be filled with love
and at the entrance, once more, I will greet those who love
and the girl who is still standing there
at the threshold full of love.

Forugh Farrokhzad (1934 - 1967) Iran
Translated by Gholamreza Sami Gorgan Roodi
Source: National Poetry Library [From Modern Poetry in Translation, Series 3. no.2, 2004]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.