Venice masks

Tuesday 15 March 2022

Ghetto - Guy Tirolien

Why should I confine myself
to the image
they would fix me in?
For pity's sake,
I'd suffocate
segregated as exotic.

I'm no idol made of ebony
breathing phony incense
in museums of the primitive.

I’m no sideshow cannibal
rolling ivory eyeballs
to make the kiddies shiver.

If I shout a shout
that bums my throat,
it's when my belly
feels my brothers' hunger;
and if sometimes
I howl with pain
it's when my toe
is stuck beneath somebody’s boot.

The nightingale sings many notes,
my monotone laments are done.

I'm no perspiring actor,
arms lifted to the sky,
sobbing out his pain
before the camera's eye.

I'm frozen in no pose of militance
or of damnation either.
I'm a living creature,
beast of prey
ever poised to leap
to seize life
which mocks at death;
to pounce on joy
which needs no passport;
to spring at love
when it happens by my door.

I'll talk of Beethoven,
stone deaf amid the tumult,
because it was for me,
yes, me (who could understand him better),
that he unleashed his storms.

I'll sing of Rimbaud
who wanted to be black
to speak to man
of primogenial matters.

I’ll praise Matisse
and Braque and then Picasso
for having found
the ancient secrets of
the rhythmic song of life
beneath the rigidness
of elemental forms.

Yes, I'll praise mankind,
all men!
I go forth to them
with a heart full of song.
hands heavy with friendship,
for they are made in my image.

Guy Tirolien (1917 - 1988) Guadeloupe [French Terrirtory]
Translated by Ellen Conroy Kennedy
Source: The Negritude poets: an anthology of translations from the French, Ellen Conroy Kennedy, Viking Press, 1975

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.