Venice masks

Tuesday 29 December 2020

I.R.ME (I Represent Me) - Ben Caesar

verse.1
its a complicated/
subject that i touch/
sensitive/
like injured love/
its something i gotta say/
cos it weighs on my heart/
only way to alleviate it/
is to face it head on/
lay it on bass kicks/
this is my therapist/
and nothing listens/
like rhythms//
indigineous/
musicians are wanted/
to represnt/
some hidden forces/
paint tranditional portraits/
cos we supposed/
to ennunciate in certain/
ways/
and portray S.A/
if not we seen as fake/
i overstand this/
cos accents reflect surroundings/
but i’m different/
not from around here/
my tongue/
don’t belong anywhere/
no country claims it/
i was raised in
many places/
so my tongue is/
nomadic/
which is/
hard to explain to the unitiated/
who want things simple and basic/
but the world is mixed and complexed/
i’m mixed race myself/
so what do i hold as my own
i was looking for a home/
i found it in the microphone/

chorus:
i cannot be/
what you want me to be/
or wanting to see/
apologies/
i represtent me/

i cannot be somebody but me /
i’m hoping one day /
that you’ll learn to love me

i cannot deny/
this truth of mine/
i may try/
but the use is none

verse.2
in circles of rap/
there verbal attacks/
on those who do and don’t/
twang on their wax/
some tight tracks fall on the deaf/
who only hear pronunciation/
and nothing else/
respect to the cats who rap
in local vernac/
i wish i could but i can only
represent who i am
wateva tongue u kick it in
its about lyrics in the end/
with no exceptions/
i know to some i sound American/
i’m the result of westernization
and over stimulation/
sits been a part of my shaping/
colour like Zebra/
i’m a combination/
of cultures/
i cannot represent/
one race or religion/
country or tradition/
cos i’m a blend/
you may worry for me/
feel sorry for me/
but i don’t need pity/
cos i love me

chorus:
i cannot be/
what you want me to be/
or wanting to see/
apologies/
i represtent me/

i cannot be somebody but me /
i’m hoping one day /
that you’ll learn to love me

i cannot deny/
this truth of mine/
i may try/
but the use is none

verse.3
black to white/
i’m all in one/
so i’m anxious/
in my reception/
breaker of expectations/
maker of new relations/
i ain’t mad at my situation/
i’m destined to be different/
word is born/
what i’m saying in this song/
is there’s no box for me/
i don’t have a place in society/
indefinable/
not in textbooks/
no identity/
do i follow do i lead?
see me as an entity/
in entirety/
maybe then you’ll overstand me/
till then/
i’m Plan Be/
and
i’ll be representing

Ben Caesar (Ben Caesar Charles Le Roux) (born 1985) Dominica

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.