Venice masks

Thursday 22 March 2018

An Alien Land - Muhammad Salih

They invite me to breakfast in another language.
Like a blind man in the streets of the city
They lead me in only three or four words of another language.
They show me a star in another language.
They awaken me in the dawn in that language.
I am afraid not of my own language
But forgetting those three or four words
In this great city.
If my homeland is my dream,
The homeland is my dream because,
I speak in my own language
Only in my dream.

Muhammad Salih (born 1949) Uzbekistan
Translator unknown
Source: Literature and Politics: Mohammed Salih and Political Change in Uzbekistan from 1979 to 1995, by Ruth Deibler, Indiana University,1996

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.