Venice masks

Sunday 25 March 2018

Since I met You, I'm not afraid - Frances Angermayer

Look, God, I have never spoken to You,
But now I want to say, "How do you do?"
You see, God, they told me You didn't exist.
And like a fool I believed all this.

Last night from a shell-hole I saw Your sky,
I figured right then, they had told me a lie,
Had I taken time to see the things You made,
I'd known they weren't calling a spade, a spade.

I wonder, God, if You'd shake my hand.
Somehow I feel that You will understand.
Funny, I had to come to this hellish place,
Before I had the time to see Your face.

Well, I guess there isn't much more to say.
But I'm sure glad, God, I met You today.
I guess the "zero hour" will soon be here.
But I'm not afraid since I know You're near.

The signal! Well, God, I'll have to go.
I like You lots, this I want You to know.
Look, now, this will be a horrible fight,
Who knows, I may come to Your house tonight.

Though I wasn't friendly with You before
I wonder, God, if You'd wait at Your Door.
Look! I'm crying!  Me!  Shedding tears!
I wish I'd known You these many years.

Well, I will have to go now, God, goodbye.
Strange, since I met You,
I'm not afraid to die.

Frances Angermayer (1907 - 1995) USA
Set to music by John W. Bratton and Geoffrey O'Hara (1945)
Source: Ecclesia.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.