Venice masks

Wednesday 9 October 2024

Zehaal-E-Miskeen - Amir Khosrow

Do not overlook my misery,
by blandishing your eyes and weaving tales,
My patience has over-brimmed, O sweetheart!
why do you not take me to your bosom.
Long like curls in the night of separation
short like life on the day of our union.
My dear, how will I pass the dark dungeon night
without your face before.
Suddenly, using a thousand tricks
the enchanting eyes robbed me of my tranquil mind.
Who would care to go and report
this matter to my darling.
Tossed and bewildered, like a flickering candle,
I roam about in the fire of love.
Sleepless eyes, restless body,
neither comes she, nor any message.
In honour of the day I meet my beloved
who has lured me so long, O Khusro!
I shall keep my heart suppressed
if ever I get a chance to get to her trick.

Amir Khosrow (full name: Ab'ul Hasan Yamin ud-Din Khusrow) (1253 – 1325) India
Translator not stated
Source: Sufi Poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.