Venice masks

Tuesday 25 June 2024

Let springtime come - Jens Peter Jacobsen

Let springtime come then, when it will,
With verdure greenest,
With flutelike song of myriad birds,
When all that blossoms
And all that is freshest,
Loveliest, fairest
Waves and flutters,
Away over meadows, away over fields,
Budding in gardens and hiding in woodlands,
Shedding its fragrance on waters and waves.
Yet not for me!
My heart is neither leaf nor blossom
And springtime cannot bring me joy:
I must await my own spring
When?

Jens Peter Jacobsen (1847 - 1885) Denmark
Translated by Frederick Delius
Source: The Complete Delius Songbook Vol 2, Mark Stone & Stephen Barlow, Boosey & Hawkes, 2011 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.