Venice masks

Monday 3 June 2024

Guinea Bissau: A love poem - Anonymous

I.
I love you
I have returned
Our land is nice - where there is happiness. 
This place is sacred.
I love you so much . . . 
 
II.
This is my wife 
She is mine 
She has a soft body
Her skin is very black.
 
I am balanta
She is beafada
She cooks delicious food. 
 
III.
Is Brassa Mada in Guinea Bissau?
Yes, he is here. 
 
It isn't true. No.
Brassa Mada isn't in Guinea Bissau.
 
IV.
America is too far from Guinea Bissau
This thing is not good.
It is a dreadful thing. 
 
V.
What do you want to do?
I want to go swimming.
The sea is shallow. 
 
VI.
Where do you want to go? 
I want to go to my home
I want to go to my wife
I want …
A beautiful house 
Delicious food
Many cows.
 
 I want … love.
 
VII.
I drink palm wine
I take medicine
This is my wife 
She is mine. 
She has a soft body
Her skin is very black.
 
I am feeling good now.

Author and translator not stated

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.