Venice masks

Friday 7 April 2023

Good Friday or The Suffering of Our Lord Jesus Christ - Jeremias De Decker

Tantae molis erat sceptrum confringere mortis.
(So difficult it was to constrain the scepter of death.)

Since on this mournful day a tragic strain,
Not comic notes should rise,
O Lord, I now must mourn your bitter pain
And through it for my sins be moved to sighs.
Others, O Christ, may write their songs of praise
To honor prince or king,
But I – I am not touched nor moved to raise
A song to Caesar but your suffering.
I often think about the cruel whips,
Deceitful accusations,
About the crown and cross; what’s better, lips,
Than bursting out with poems of contemplation?
I need not call a Muse of any kind
To make me skillful, strong;
No, no! Your Spirit pours into all minds,
Inspires my spirit, inspirits all my song.
So that, untouched by earthly worries, I may sing –
But not without much crying –
What heavy sorrow pierced your heart, how deep their sting,
And what a death it was that gave us life undying.

Jeremias De Decker [or Dekker] (1610 – 1666)  Netherlands
Translated by Henrietta Ten Harmsel
Source: Central Reformed Church (Grand Rapids)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.