Venice masks

Friday 17 March 2023

The Motoka - Theo Luzuka

You see that Benz sitting at the rich’s end ?
Ha! That motoka is motoka
It belongs to the Minister for Fairness
Who yesterday was loaded with a doctorate
At Makarere with whisky and I don’t know what
Plus I hear the literate thighs of an undergraduate.
 
You see those market women gaping their mouths ?
The glory of its inside has robbed them of words,
I tell you the feather seats the gold steering
The tv the radio station the gear!
He can converse with all the world’s presidents
While driving in the back seat with his darly
Between his legs with the driver seeing a thing!
ha! ha! ha!
 
Look at the driver chasing the children away
They want to see the pistol in the door pocket
 
Or the button that lets out bullets
from the machine
Through the eyes of the car
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Let’s not talk about it.
 
But I tell you that motoka can run
It sails like a lyato, speeds like a swallow
And doesn’t know anyone stupid on its way
The other day I heard –
But look at its behind, that mother of twins!
A-ah! That motoka is motoka
You just wait, I’ll tell you more
But let me first sell my tomatoes.

Theo Luzuka (20th century) Uganda
Source: African Journal of Neurological Sciences, Vol. 21, No. 1, 2002

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.