Venice masks

Saturday 19 February 2022

The Cry of the Bird - Nimrod Bena Djangrang

I wanted to be overcome with silence
I abandoned the woman I love
I closed myself to the bird of hope
That invited me to climb the branches
Of the tree, my double
I created havoc in the space of my garden
I opened up my lands
I found the air that circulates between the panes
Pleasant. I was happy
To be my life’s witch doctor
When the evening rolled out its ghosts
The bird in me awoke again
Its cry spread anguish
In the heart of my kingdom.

(for Daniel Bourdanné)

Nimrod Bena Djangrang (born 1950) Chad
Translated by Patrick Williamson
First appeared in the anthology The Parley Tree, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.