Venice masks

Thursday 3 February 2022

My Hand - Grand Master Masese

My hand,
My bread winner
I deeply feel your pain
Now that they catch you at night
In Mukuru
Seeking to get what you harvested

My hand take courage
You will heal
My hand, my bread winner
Without you
I shall not eat
Without you there is no caress

My hand
You, who caresses the obokano strings
with zeal
Giving out rhythms to the world
The rhythms from you, my hand
Off the obokano
Gives hope
Gives pleasure and happiness
They write and speak to the masses
They speak to the ancestors

My Hand,
You compliment my tongue
If they cut you off, my hand
Then, they must cut off my tongue
As well.

My hand, you take me places
Because of you
I have seen the Atlantic
And the tropical forests of Africa
I have seen the mountains of Wales
And the eye of Europe
The bridges of Europe
The Thames
I have met people and cultures
Because of you my hand.

My hand
You weakly gripped my mother’s
Breast when I breastfed
Remember,
You caressed her bosom
Giving warmth and affection

My hand,
I deeply feel your pain
I wish you heal quickly
To serve your people
Give them melodies and rhythms
Meet the muses
Compliment my songs

My hand, heal so we seal
The deal, to hold the pen and not the gun

Grand Master Masese (20th century) Kenya

obokano - The obokano is a large bass bowl lyre from Kenya. It is used by the Gusii ethnic group. (Wikipedia)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.