Venice masks

Monday 10 May 2021

jumbo-jet vs jackdaw - S. Zaynub Kamoonpuri

I wish to fly like a bird that chirps or hoots
without any jet or parachutes.

I sure don't like wings that roar
just so they could take off and soar.

Ah, to fly without diesel or fuel
ah, even to halt that mid-air duel

Birds, they don't pollute the air
nor need they any airline fare

So if only I too could glide
and let the wind be my guide.

I'd be happy to fly all the way to the stars
if they assured me I'd risk no charred scars.

Oh, I so wish to fly just like a jackdaw
then I'd fly across all borders
all the while preen and shampoo my feathers
for then I'd know no man-made border or law!

S. Zaynub Kamoonpuri (20th century) born in Nigeria, lives in Tanzania
Source: Voices.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.