Venice masks

Tuesday 27 October 2020

The Modest Little Wish - Carl Spitteler

In the days when I was little
   had they asked me what I wanted,
What I'd wish for first if wishes
   ever could be really granted,
As the thought of such abundance
   I should long have hesitated,
Picture-books, paint-boxes, soldiers -
   between these have vacillated.
But grown older, plans were bolder;
   I had made my proud election
- Fame as hero, fame as victor,
   worlds o'erthrown for resurrection;
Or as a artist crowned with laurel,
   lord of some domain entrancing,
Magic trees around me blossoming,
   and lovely ladies glancing.
Nowadays, if hope grown weary
   in the wishing-game persisted,
Though I blushed to think the childish,
   foolish longing still existed,
I would ask to hear the old way
   bells would sound when lying lonely
Half-asleep, a little fellow. . .
   I would ask to hear that only.

Carl Spitteler (1845 — 1924) Switzerland
Translated by Ethel Colburn Mayne
Source: Ross' Columns (taken from Selected Poems translated by Ethel Colburn Mayne and James F. Muirhead)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.