Venice masks

Wednesday 20 March 2024

On the Green Hill Summit - Tembong Denis Fonge

Atungong
Step by step and gently I ascend
The Green Hill hoping to step on the summit,
I rock, twist and painfully pull upward,
To this spot all day long,
For, from this point, I long,
And I aspire to survive.
And to see Fonki in its entirety,
I hope to continue,
So life can continue.

Atungong!
What a submit! The Green Hill Summit.
Behind at the heels of the hill,
And behind me lies Fonki,
Houses like dishes covered
On table tops lie still,
With their silver caps.
Footpaths like strings wind and meander
Between mush-room-like huts.

Children like soldier-ants trace
The strings to and fro,
While flog in the green vegetation faintly spotted,
Like dots on plain sheet.
The calm sky filled with birds,
Floating and singing happily from side to side
And far at the horizon stand,
Mounts like giants with
Green heads kissing the sky.

Whistling sounds of insects
Compete with lovely melody
Of the joyful birds,
As Foggy cloud slide gently from on high,
Via gigantic forest wood above.

Oh! Atungong! My hope,
You make me see Fonki,
From end to end
And the land of seven rocks and beyond.
I toy and wail to arrive at your top
With kneels broken and tongue
Running out of my mouth.
While fine streams burst
And run down my top to toe.
In fatigue like a hunting dog,
I pursue my course to the summit, my hope.

Alas! Alas!
At the summit:
“I have fought a good fight,
I have finished my course,
I have kept the faith:”

Tembong Denis Fonge (20th century) Cameroon
Source: Botsotso

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.