Venice masks

Sunday 31 March 2024

Ode 4 - Odysseus Elytis

A solitary swallow * and Spring's great worth is found
It takes a lot of work * to make the sun tum round
Their shoulders to the Wheels * it takes a thousand dead
It also takes the living * to offer up their blood.
God my greatest Masterworker * high in the mountains You built me
God my greatest Masterworker * You have surrounded me with sea!
  
The body of dead May * the Mages took to save
And they have buried it * entombed in a sea grave
They keep the body sealed * away in a deep well
The darkness filled all the * Abyss with its sweet smell.
  
God my greatest Masterworker * You are in Easter lilacs too
God my greatest Masterworker * You smelled the Resurrection's dew!
  
Memory’s terrible * insect emerged from earth
And wriggled like a sperm * in a dark womb of birth
The way a spider bites * the light it bit the light
The beaches all were shining * the open sea shone bright.
  
God my greatest Masterworker * You girt me round with coast and sea
God my greatest Masterworker * in the mountains You founded me!

Odysseus Elytis (1911 - 1996) Greece
Translated by Jeffrey Carson and Nikos Sarris
The collected poems of Odysseus Elytis, Johns Hopkins University Press, 1997

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.