Venice masks

Friday 16 February 2024

The May Star - Halldór Kiljan Laxness

Oh how light is thy shoe-sound
oh how long I abode thee
there is spring snow on window
bitter wind that whines
but I know one star
one star that shines
and now at last art thou come
thou art come to me.
 
There are difficult times
there is employment arguing
I have nothing to offer
not a morsel that I give
except my hope and my life
whether I wake or sleep
this one thing that thou gavest me
that is all that I have.
 
But tonight ends the winter
of every working man
and tomorrow shines a May-sun
it is his May-sun
it is our May-sun
of our unity bond
for thee bear I the flag
of this land of the future.

Halldór Kiljan Laxness (1902 - 1998) Iceland
Translator not stated ("Anonim")
Source: Babelmatrix

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep your comments relevant and free from abusive language. Thank you. Note that comments are moderated so it may be a day or two before your comment is posted - irrelevant or abusive comments will not be published.